Saturday, September 17, 2011

How Trees Have Changed My Life ~ Part 1


I have always loved trees. I was born and lived most of my life in Southern California. As you probably know, California gets very little rain, usually 9 to 11 inches a year and trees are scarce in certain areas. When I was young, we had a number of trees on our property. In our small backyard we had the most amazing rubber tree.


This tree was tropical. It had wide, glossy leaves which were a deep green color.
Up high a few of the branches had grown into a square shape. This spot became the perfect chair for me. I'm not sure how I got up into this tree but, I have many fond childhood memories of sitting in it and thinking my childish thoughts.
Trees are special. I've learned a lot about life from them. It's important to have roots. If you really believe in something, don't be afraid to go out on a limb. Sometimes you have to shed your old bark in order to grow. Grow where you are planted. It's okay to be a late bloomer. Avoid people who try to cut you down. You can't hide your true colors as you approach the autumn of your life.
It is more important to be honest than poplar.
Trees are solid. There are a lot of them. They capture energy from the sun and help us have the air we breathe. They provide beauty, shade, food, nuts, berries, oil, syrup, fuel, housing for people, birds, animals and other plants.


They have character. No two trees are exactly alike. Trees can be climbed, protected, lived in and even driven through.

We tie things on them (yellow ribbons, signs, tire swings), carve lovers names on them, nail up signs on them and even cut them down and decorate them.


We use them to make houses, floors, roofs, cabinets, doors, chairs, tables, stairs,

cutting boards, bowls, boats,

shoes, coffins, wreaths, and my favorite ~ books and shelves to put them on.

In 1913 the poet Joyce Kilmer wrote the poem "Trees"


"I think that I shall never see a poem lovely as a tree.
A tree whose hungry mouth is pressed against the earth's sweet flowing breast;
A tree that looks at God all day and lifts her leafy arms to pray;
A tree that may in summer wear a nest of robins in her hair;
Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
who intimately lives with rain.
Poems are made by fools like me but, only God can make a tree".





Trees play a major role in the Holy Scriptures. From the first book Genesis to the last book Revelation trees are mentioned. I've counted 42 types of trees in scripture. Two are given proper names and there are over 300 references to trees, wood and seeds.
The Bible tells us that trees were created by God on the third day of creation and are made for His glory.

Noah built an ark from trees; Aaron had a staff made of wood; Sacrifices were burned on wood; Zaccheaus climbed up a sycamore tree for a better view of Jesus; Palm leaves were waved in joyful triumph when Jesus passed by; and most importantly, Jesus bore our sins when He was nailed and hung on a tree.

Trees play a major role in the history of humankind.
In my next post, I'll continue to write about how they have played a major role in my life.
Until then, blessings in the journey.

2 comments:

A Magical Whimsy said...

I think our entire family loves trees.
I don't believe you were born yet when we had the tree house in the huge fig tree in the backyard. And dad and mother didn't really have enough money to spend on taking photos of us children in the tree. I wish someone had. I don't think we have any photos of that tree either...but we have wonderful memories.
Thank you for sharing about trees, and I will look forward to reading more tree experiences.
love,
Trese
P.S. I noticed your banner spelling for your blog has been changed to: Rebecca's Rainbow
nite, nite~

Anonymous said...

Good memories! I love the photos and your play on words: I am certainly in the Autumn of my life--more likely Winter--if you read the rings,you'd count many and varied conditions under which I have grown. May I continue to grow in the Lord. There is Springtime in my heart when I read my daughter's blogs! Both of you! Keep on writing, creating, caring! <3 Mother